Tuesday, October 20, 2015

The Perks of Being Phuketian In Vegetarian Festival: Chapter 1


It is my privilege and excuse to be back home again, and never once deny this kind of chance. Before I put the real knowledge about how this annually Vegetarian Festival start into my membranes, let me inform you with my nostalgic storytelling by my beloved mom after a little questionnaire son asked "why I have to follow this traditional event and be such a good person for several days", the answer is simple, yet mythically. 

"Back in many decades ago, people in Phuket are infected the disease that not yet able to solved, and started to cause some lives. Chinese temple is the only hope they had, and the promise of disease-forfending was made, phenomenally, people tended to get better and relieved. To eat as vegetarian for 9 days was what Phuketians will do to แก้บน. This event has occurred annually ever since. We do it as to make all of our lives gain prosper in all kind of future, and you are my future, that's why I do it for you too" said my mom.


What only Phuketians aware of in the festival is the power ambient where all over Phuket will be covered with a strength energy that hard to explain, we don't feel it as physically, it's just a feeling of a warm wind embracing our hearts, tranquil the wild for 9 days, and get back to work with a full fresh perspective. In this 9 days, 80% of the people in this city will wear white to represent how pure and clean we are, we talk better, eat cleaner and act finer.

Every morning the parade of each temple will walk through houses and perform such supernatural act such as cutting the tongue, put strange objects through the mouth (pictures will be featured in the next chapter) these people are not ordinary, they are a body that Chinese Gods/Goddesses' spirit has communicated through possessed. Along with the parade, the Gods/Goddesses in a form of us will give holy threads to whoever has it tied in the hand will stay protected and be safe by the bless of the givers.


Even I eventually learned the truth how it started, I still believe what I've been told, it is just the power of hope that fascinated me.

For those who wonder the history of this Vegetarian Festival, you can visit Phuket Vegetarian site for further information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You <3